• 45ml (3 tbsps) sunflower oil
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• 250ml (1 cup) chopped fresh basil leaves
• 3 cans (410g) ALL GOLD chopped tomatoes
• 15ml (1 tbsp) holbrooks worcestershire sauce
• 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan and add garlic, shake pan around a bit, when garlic begins to colour, add basil and ALL GOLD chopped tomatoes. Using the back of a spoon squash and crush the tomatoes until smooth. Season sauce with worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat, strain sauce through a course sieve into a bowl using the back of the spoon to push the larger bits of tomato through. Discard basil and garlic left in the sieve, scrape all the tomato purée off the back of the sieve into the bowl. Pour sauce back into saucepan, bring to the boil, turn turn heat down and simmer for about 5 minutes to concentrate the flavours and to thicken a bit.
Cook’s tip: store tomato gravy in a clean jar in the fridge, it will keep for up to a week.
Courtesy of ALL GOLD