- 45ml (3 tbsps) oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 30ml (2 tbsps) plain flour
- 700g beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsps) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 1 sachet (405g) ALL GOLD pasta sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsps) ALL GOLD tomato paste
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Heat half the oil in a saucepan over high heat.
Add eggplant. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Place flour and beef in a plastic bag. Seal. Shake to coat.
Heat remaining oil in pan. Add half the beef. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
Add spring onions, chilli and garlic to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until spring onions have softened.
Add sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
Add ALL GOLD pasta sauce, cook for a further 5 minutes.
Return eggplant, beef and juices to pan with ALL GOLD tomato paste, wine and 1/2 cup cold water. Bring to the boil
Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover. Simmer for 40 minutes or until beef is tender. Stir in parsley.
Serve with cooked samp or rice.
Cook’s note: if you wish to, it’s not imperative, you can sweat the eggplant by sprinkling with salt and then rinsing under cold water before cooking it.
Courtesy of ALL GOLD